Seeking CFD Papers for Chemical Engineering Journal
The International Journal of Chemical Engineering is seeking papers and review articles on “advancement in CFD modeling and its predictive power for the flows with complex physics.” Manuscripts are due for this issue on 09 December 2011.
The Role of CFD in Product Development
The Aberdeen Group studied the application of CFD to product development and Desktop Engineering published the results. When asked what would happen if CFD were not used, 48% of those surveyed replied that more physical prototypes would be required, 33% said that fewer scenarios would be tested, and 32% said the product would not be optimized. Only 1% said there would be no impact (which makes you wonder why they’re using CFD in the first place.)
- Article from Desktop Engineering
International Meshing Roundtable Seeks Committee Members
The International Meshing Roundtable, an annual conference focused on developments in the field of mesh and grid generation, is seeking volunteers to serve a two-year term on the conference’s steering committee. Duties include conference site selection and related arrangements and paper and speaker reviews and selection.
- Solicitation on LinkedIn
- Spatial released ACIS and 3D InterOp R22. The latter includes updated CAD version support for CATIA V5 R21, Inventor 2012, ProE/Creo 1.0, NX 7.5, SolidWorks 2011, and Parasolid v24.
- OpenCFD released OpenFOAM version 2.0.1 which is primarily a bug fix release.
- ITI TranscenData released CADfix V8.1 which includes improved automatic repair tools, more user control over the types of fixes applied, a filter for removing internal geometry, and more.
- Registration for SolidWorks World 2012, to be held 12-15 February 2012 in San Diego, is open.
- Several sessions from next week’s TFAWS conference will be broadcast online for those who can’t attend in person.
- Mentor Graphics provides this video extolling the virtues of CFdesign for CFD simulations of data centers.
- According to this study of wind loads on rooftop solar arrays “CFD is not currently in a state where it can be used reliably to estimate peak pressures on low-rise
building roofs, let alone solar arrays on such buildings, and should not be used as a basis for design at this point in time.”
- PTC provides this brief video illustrating creating and manipulating FEA meshes in Creo Simulate 1.0.
- Mentor Graphics shares a web-based seminar on the use of CFD in the design of health care facilities. (registration required)
- CATI has written a brief tech note on the application of SolidWorks’ flow simulation CFD to a ball valve.
- GEA Niro and the Technical University of Denmark are using CFD to simulate a spray dryer.