Engineer vs. Designer
If you prefer your CAD and CAE news more on the zany side, check out the bi-weekly Engineer vs. Designer podcast. Your hosts will be Adam O’Hern from cadjunkie.com and Josh Mings from SolidSmack.com. With each episode they bring news, tips, and a special guest.
- Engineer Vs Designer at evd1.tv
Autodesk’s Project Vasari
Project Vasari from Autodesk Labs is a design tool for buildings that includes analysis capability such as CFD of the airflow around building exteriors. (Giorgio Vasari was an Italian architect, 1511-1574.) The CFD capabilities are known as the Ecotect Wind Tunnel and employs what Autodesk calls “simplified computational fluid dynamics.”
- Autodesk Labs’ Project Vasari
- Ecotect Wind Tunnel
- Autodesk blog post with images
- Details about the CFD including video from buildz blog
Five Ways SpaceClaim Boosts CFD Productivity
SpaceClaim provides a video in which they offer five ways in which their software will boost your CFD productivity. Quoting (almost verbatim) from the video:
- Fast, simple and intuitive modeling tools let you create 3D models with unmatched speed and accuracy.
- Working with other CAD systems and 3D neutral files is a breeze.
- SpaceClaim gives you the ability to easily defeature and simplify your model.
- Creating a fluid volume around the geometry for external fluid studies is fast and easy.
- SpaceClaim automatically creates internal fluid volumes for you after you select the inlets and outlets.
- SpaceClaim’s video
- Israeli CFD Center partners with ScaleMP to provide CFD simulations on HPC
- 11-17 September 2011 is National Aerospace Week in the U.S.
- Speakers announced for Pointwise User Group Meeting
- Paul Stallings of Kubotek writes about CAD interoperability on Evan Yares’ blog: a cylinder is a cone and a sphere is a torus. (Comment: I think Paul has pretty nicely touched on everything wrong with CAD interoperability.)
- Wirth Research is applying CFD in its partnership with Honda Performance Development.
- There’s still time to enter Pointwise’s Meshy Award contest.