AIAA Propulsion Aerodynamics Workshop
In order to assess the predictive capabilities and current state-of-the-art of CFD technology for propulsive flow fields, the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) is hosting the 1st Propulsion Aerodynamics Workshop. This 1-day workshop will be held on 29 July 2012 in advance of the AIAA’s Joint Propulsion Conference in Atlanta.
Participants, especially academic, are being sought to perform blind trials of benchmark cases such as isolated inlets and nozzles and nozzles in proximity to a ground plane. Geometry and baseline meshes will be provided to the participants and the CFD results will be compared to experimental data.
Test case selection is expected to be complete in 2011 Q3 with grids available in 2011 Q4. Workshop organizers can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GPU Acceleration for OpenFOAM
Symscape announced the availability of a free linear solver library for OpenFOAM that uses the graphics processing unit (GPU) to provide potentially significant speed-up. ofgpu v0.2 is compatible with OpenFOAM v2.0.x.
- ofgpu from Symscape
International Conference on CFD
The 7th International Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics (ICCFD7) will be held 9-13 July 2012 in Hawaii. The conference is seeking abstracts on all CFD topics including both basic and applied research but with special emphasis on innovative algorithms, flow physics, and mutidisciplinary applications. Abstracts are due 9 Dec 2011.
- ICCFD7 website
LEWICE is NASA Software of the Year Runner-Up
Congratulations to the team behind the LEWICE (LEWis ICE accretion program, obviously named when Glenn Research Center was Lewis Research Center) for the software’s naming as a NASA Software of the Year 2010 runner-up. LEWICE predicts ice build-up on wing and nacelle leading edges and that shape data is often used as the input to CFD codes for detailed simulations.
Applications, Events, and News
- Altair is introducing HyperWorks 11.0 at two events in Troy MI – 29 Sep and 12 Oct.
- ANSYS was included in the Software Top 100 for the 5th consecutive year.
- Autodesk provides this video about the application of their CFdesign software to gas masks.
- NASA is donating a Space Shuttle flight simulator to the Dwight Look College of Engineering at Texas A&M University.
- FE-DESIGN opened a Chicago office to better support North American users of their TOSCA Fluid optimization software.
- Symscape‘s September 2011 newsletter is available.
- Pointwise’s The Connector newsletter for Sep/Oct 2011 is available (subscription required to see the latest issue).
- Tecplot will host a webinar on Simulation Analytics for Improved Engineering Design Decisions on 4 Oct.
- Pointwise will host a webinar on Automating Viscous Meshing for a Transonic Aircraft Model Using Glyph Scripting on 5 Oct.
- CFD was used in a study of how UV lamps can disinfect storm water.
- Mentor Graphics will host a webinar on The ROI of Concurrent Design with CFD on 27 Sep.
- Linux Journal’s article To CFD, or Not to CFD? provides an overview of how to apply OpenFOAM.
- Data Center Journal asks about CFD: Wise Investment or Unnecessary Expense?