CadFaster for the iPad
CadFaster has released a version of their CAD collaboration tool for the iPad. The app reads and displays models in Autodesk Revit, Bentley Microstation, SolidWorks, and Graphisoft ArchiCAD formats. By preprocessing and compressing all the data files with their desktop application, the iPad app is said to be more responsive due to smaller file sizes.
- CadFaster for iPad via Desktop Engineering
- CadFaster for iPad via GraphicSpeak
SOFiSTiK FEA Modeling for Rhino
Finite element modeling and meshing is available in Rhino through the SOFiSTiK Rhinoceros Interface. The interface lets the user assign material properties and generate beam and shell elements.
- SOFiSTiK for Rhino
ANSYS in the Software 500 Again
Software magazine included ANSYS in their annual list of the top 500 software companies. ANSYS was listed in 107th place with revenue of $580.2 million. This is the fifth consecutive year that ANSYS has be included in the list.
- ANSYS’ announcement
Free 3D CAD from PTC
PTC is offering Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 4.0 for free. The software is limited only in the number of parts in an assembly (60). Otherwise, the software is yours to use indefinitely. This free version of 3D CAD software is available for Windows, both 32-bit and 64-bit.
- Download free CAD software from PTC
Realtime Visualization of Pressure Distribution on Sails
A realtime visualization of the pressure distribution over a racing boats sails would provide the yachtsmen with information they need to make in-race sail adjustments to optimize performance. That’s specifically what’s described in this document; a “real time fluid flow analysis device” coupled with augmented reality glasses to be worn by the crew.
Commentary: While tantalizing, this document is too brief to make any judgements.
- Augment reality system for realtime pressure visualization
ANSYS Hall of Fame
ANSYS is seeking entries for consideration for the ANSYS Hall of Fame 2012. The Hall of Fame consists of the 10 best images submitted showing applications of ANSYS’ software. Deadline for entries is 11 Nov 2011.
- ANSYS’ announcement
News and Notes
- Pointwise donated CFD meshing software to the L.C. Smith College of Engineering at Syracuse University.
- SolidWorks 2012 includes the ability to import results from Flow Simulation analyses to SolidWorks Simulation for display.
- NAFEMS is offering a 4-week online training course Essentials of Fluid Mechanics for CFD from 29 Nov – 20 Dec.
- Tecplot is hosting a webinar on Simulation Analytics and their new Tecplot Chorus software on 20 Oct.