CEI Is The Exclusive Visualization Sponsor of FLOW-3D Events
CEI will be the exclusive visualization sponsor of Flow Science’s FLOW-3D European Users Conference and FLOW-3D World Users Conference. The announcement of this exclusive deal comes shortly after the announcement that CEI’s EnSight postprocessing software will be integrated with FLOW-3D. At each event CEI will offer training on EnSight. The integration of FLOW-3D and EnSight is scheduled for a beta release this autumn.
What’s Holding Back CFD?
Virtually half of respondents to Symscape’s poll about the barriers to further CFD adoption cited CFD software price making it the top culprit. Second with 17% was software complexity.
Two thoughts spring to mind. First, I wonder how the survey respondents would rate the complexity of commercial versus open source CFD tools. Second, I can’t help but think of Clayton Christensen’s The Innovator’s Dilemma. You can watch a brief video illustration of the dilemma here.
Do you agree with the poll results?
- Symscape’s poll
News in Brief
- Here’s a very brief overview of new features in SolidWorks Flow Simulation.
- The 3D PDF Consortium will hold its first annual meeting at the Collaboration and Interoperability Congress.
- Registration is now open for NVIDIA’s GPU Technology Conference.
- CPDA will hold their Product Lifecycle Management Roadmap 2012 conference on 2-3 October in Plymouth, MI.
- The 9th International Conference on CFD in the Minerals and Process Industries will be held on 10-12 December 2012 in Melbourne, Australia.
- SolidProfessor is offering for free 10 daily videos about SolidWorks Flow Simulation.
- Here’s a brief article about application of CFD to opposed-piston engines.
- Lucid’s Virtu does “GPU virtualization” meaning it dynamically adjusts operations to use the best available resource and it does so in a hardware-generic manner.
- Extending the life of slurry pumps using CFD.
- CFD is used to compute the underwater speed of a small submersible vehicle.
- Ten reasons to analyze your airfoil. (#10 Bricks make terrible airfoil shapes.)
Kickstand’s StretchMesh plugin for Autodesk Maya has been released as open source. The software is used in animations to give surface meshes (i.e. skin) a more elastic appearance when moved.
Leadership Changes at Tecplot
Tecplot announced the promotion of former COO Rich Stillman to President and CEO, replacing company co-founder Mike Peery who moved into chairman of the board and “product czar ” roles.
According to Tecplot, the change is in response to current and anticipated growth due to the recent release of Tecplot Chorus, a new product that created the field of simulation analytics. Stillman has extensive experience from prior executive positions at Coinstar and Ivey Imaging.
- Tecplot’s announcement
- Blog post from Stillman
- Blog post from Peery
- Roundtable discussion on Blog Talk Radio.
Simulating Sky Diving
The U.S. Army has a keen interest in knowing whether their airborne troops can parachute safely to the ground under a wide variety of circumstances including the amount and type of gear they carry. As you can imagine, the wake downstream of a sky diver is affected considerably by the configuration of packs they carry and in turn the parachute’s inflation is affected by that wake.
Creare, under contract to the Army, developed a Fluent-based toolkit for simulating a skydiver in freefall. The results of those simulations were visualized using FlightGear, an open source flight simulator.
- Sky Diving Simulation and Visualization at FlightGear
Print Your CFD Solution in 3D
Read this article and watch this video about 3D printing and then think about printing your CFD solution in 3D. Would that be a valuable capability in FieldView, Tecplot, and EnSight?