Visualization of a CFD simulation of Ramgen’s shock wave-based compression technique. Image from phys.org.
- Ramgen is developing technology involving shock wave-based compression of CO2 gas as part of a Dept. of Energy program for carbon capture and sequestration. (See image above.) The CFD simulations, using Numeca’s CFD code and the DOE’s supercomputers at Oak Ridge National Lab, have cut potentially 2 years and $2 million from commercialization of the product.
- Watch this video demonstration of Khamsin, the CFD-plugin for Sketchup, as it is used to model a 250 cc go-cart.
- At the University of Colorado, Boulder they’re using Tecplot Chorus to data-mine CFD solutions to address the issue of uncertainty in hypersonic air vehicle design.
- Embry-Riddle is using STAR-CCM+ to simulate the aerodynamics of their EcoCar2 design.
CFD solution of the EcoCar traveling at 50 mph. Colors indicate pressure. Image from Desktop Engineering.
CFD News in Brief
- Visualization Sciences Group, makers of the Avizo software for visualizing scientific data including CFD, was acquired by FEI Company, a world leader in production and distribution of electron microscopes. Plans for support and future development of VSG’s products is said to be unchanged. VSG had also recently announced the acquisition of the amira 3D visualization software.
- Here are brief highlights about CFD in India.
- ANSYS launched ANSYS Academic Student, allowing students to use their software outside of the classroom for only $25.
- Creaform, purveyors of portable 3D measurement technology, have added CFD analysis to their consultancy offerings.
- CD-adapco announced the availability in Japan of es-ice, their internal combustion engine simulation tool.
CFD Resources & Jobs
- Prof. Lorena Barba from Boston University, notable for making her CFD course lectures available on YouTube, also posts various CFD-related documents on figshare.
- Users of OpenVSP, NASA’s open-source, parametric, aircraft geometry modeling tool, can now benefit from the VSP Hangar, a community-driven collection of geometry models.
- ETH Zurich seeks a research assistant to conduct CFD simulations of the lacuno-canalicular network of bone tissue.
- Dell’s high performance computing blog has posted the first of a promised series of articles in a CFD Primer.
- Registration is now open for the 9th International Conference on CFD in the Minerals and Process Industries to be held 10-12 December 2012 in Melbourne, Australia.
- ESI announced a CFD open house in Essen, Germany on 19 September 2012.