FieldView 14 is Coming
Intelligent Light announced the availability of a sneak peak at FieldView 14, the upcoming release of their CFD postprocessing and visualization software.
This new version of the software includes new abilities for comparing multiple datasets, interactive visualization of millions of particles and much more.
- FieldView 14 sneak peak
- Symscape released Caedium CFD v5.1 including the ability to create a helix on a cylinder or cone.
- Optimal Solutions released Sculptor v3.4 for mesh and geometry morphing. This latest release includes the ability to morph an existing geometry to a target shape.
- The RBF-Morph add-on for Fluent is now directly available from ANSYS.
- LS-DYNA R7 includes an incompressible, finite-element CFD solver and a conservation element/solution element solver for compressible flows.
- STAR-CCM+ v8.04 will include a discrete adjoint solver.
News in Brief
- The top 3 dream employers for engineering students are, in order, NASA, Google, and Boeing. See the other 97 in the list at the link.
- NASA Ames’ latest supercomputer, Endeavour, is an SGI UV-2000 shared-memory system with 1,536 cores and 6 TB of shared memory.
- Monica Schnitger looks at ESI’s first quarter results (up 2%) and sees a robust contribution from OpenCFD.
- Flow Science has issued the call for papers for the 2013 FLOW-3D World Users Conference to be held in Chicago this September. Abstracts are due 26 July 2013.
- DEVELOP3D makes the case that round 1 of the cloud software bout goes to the software companies, not the users.
- GrabCAD wrote a nice timeline of CAD hardware.
- Life Upfront interviewed the CEO of Intact Solutions (i.e. Scan and Solve) on many topics including “meshless FEA.” [The term meshless always gets my attention.] But it’s OK because he states categorically “Mesh is a good thing.”
- In what’s perhaps a bit of wishful thinking, Symscape wonders whether 3D printing is the killer app that will take simulation mainstream. [P.S. I hate the term “maker.”]
- The latest issue of the Qpedia Thermal eMagazine includes an article about CFD analysis of synthetic jets.
- COMSOL shares this simulation of two-phase flow – specifically, Italian salad dressing.
- It’s time for part 2 of CEI’s how-to video on visualizing medical data in EnSight, this time with a focus on texture maps.
- Alenia Aermacchi was awarded an HPC Innovation Excellence Award for their use of CFD in the design of environmentally friendly aircraft.
Bursting Your Bubble
Given how bubble-wrap is so addictive from a tactile standpoint, it was only a matter of time before enterprising engineers and scientists at U.C. Berkeley applied computers to the physics of bubble popping. Now the problem is I can’t stop watching this video.