Software and Applications
Streamline visualization from a simulation of a quad rotor in flight. Image from Symscape.
- Symscape illustrates the use of a Moving Reference Frame (aka frozen rotor model) for simulation of a quad rotor helicopter.
- Part 3 of a series of articles on pump cavitation analysis using CFX focuses on post-processing the CFD results.
- Intelligent Light‘s most recent email newsletter includes information on the upcoming FieldView 14, IL’s involvement in the most recent AIAA High Lift Prediction Workshop, and more.
- If you’re curious about how CFD would work in the cloud, take 7 minutes to watch this video of an external flow calculation with Ciespace.
- CD-adapco released STAR-CCM+ v8.04. This latest version includes improved solid modeling capabilities for working with CAD data, new propeller modeling, and an adjoint solver among other things.
Screen capture from a video illustrating STAR-CCM+’s overset grid capability for a gear simulation. Image from CD-adapco.
News in Brief
- Turbulence certainly is an enduring challenge for fluid dynamics (brief article and video).
- If you have 30 minutes to spare you can hear an interview with Rand’s Ryan Stamm on CFD consulting.
- Here’s the best of the visualization web for May 2013.
- ANSYS eNews has been published for June 2013 and includes an article about magnet simulations.
- CFD Online introduced a discussion forum for Exa.
Odds and Ends
- Do you remember when engineering colleges had songs? Neither do I. [And I dare not ask why mechanical engineers are “smutty.”]
- Certainly you’ve seen the video of the flying bike. This proves that propulsion guys can make anything fly by strapping on a big enough engine.
- And I know you’ve heard of 3D printing but did you hear about the 3D Printing Art Show? [One must forgive the enthusiasm of Geomagic’s Ping Fu who extolls the virtue of designing “when they aren’t held back by material needs, fabrication issues or any of those other things…” Having limited experience with 3D printing I can tell you that model validation, choice of material, and the type of fabrication are significant barriers to success. Granted, what we were attempting (printing a mesh) was pushing the envelope.]
3D printed Mobius strip by Henry Segerman. Image from FabLabNyack.