- Video of a CFD simulation of using natural convection to cool a steel mill
- Simulation of blood flow in flexible arteries
- Blood coagulation CFD case study
- Experimental and computational work on modeling bat wings in flight.
- Using CFD to study breathing disorders
- Symscape writes about co-processing for transient simulations.
- High Tech CFD lists the advantages of CFD for the HVAC industry.
- On a related note, IMAGINiT lists reasons why CFD is perfect for the building industry.
- And from Design News comes this general CFD advocacy.
- NAFEMS features an in-depth profile of CFD Icon David Gosman in which we learn two things: what STAR is an acronym for and that he has never run a commercial CFD code. [The link is to a post in the LinkedIn Academic CFD Simulation group. Login required. Article in PDF.]
- Accuracy and Checking in FEA, Part 2 – from Desktop Engineering
- Something only mesh generators will love: After 400 years, another class of equilateral convex polyhedra (e.g. Platonic solids) has been discovered, the so-called Goldberg polyhedra.
- ANSYS continues to be financially successful, earning $861.3 million in FY 2013. [How long until $1 billion?]
- If you’re a student in Maryland interested in studying engineering, you have until 24 March to apply for Northrop Grumman’s Engineering Scholars competition.
Jobs and Events
- Recruiters are posting a CFD Aerodynamicist job in Oxfordshire, UK.
- SunCoke Energy in Lisle, Illinois wants to hire an Aerothermal CFD Engineer.
- The SIMULIA Community Conference will be held 19-22 May in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Introducing Flowsquare, free 2D CFD.
- Dynaflow updated their 3DynaFS CFD software with improvements in bubble dynamics, cavitation and more.
- Onshape, the folks developing what appears to be a cloud-based CAD system, have licensed Parasolid and D-Cubed from Siemens PLM.
- On a related note, Siemens PLM released Parasolid v26.1.
- SpaceClaim released new tools for online collaboration (Live Review) and 3D printing (STL Prep).
- Beta CAE released ANSA and μETA v15.0.1.
- Stanford’s SU2 is now available for the Raspberry Pi [courtesy of Pointwise’s own Travis Carrigan]. Travis’ article about the port is now the most highly read article on this blog.
- CUDA 6 is available as a free download for parallel GPU programming.
Abstract Painting as Mesh
Daniel Hill is another artist whose abstract work reminds me a lot of mesh generation. He’s striving to “bring the power of sound into the visual experience.”
Bonus: What does art have to do with space travel? Plenty, in the case of the NASA Centaur Art Challenge celebrating the launch vehicle’s 50th anniversary.