- Exa will be partnering with ESTECO and integrating modeFRONTIER with PowerFLOW.
- Siemens PLM released Solid Edge ST7.
- From FXGuide comes a preview of RealFlow 2014 [the videos are worth watching].
- DEM Solutions released EDEM Suite v2.6 for discrete element modeling.
- Symscape gives a sneak preview of passive species transport coming soon to Caedium CFD.
- Autodesk Labs’ Project Memento is free software for converting 3D scans into high quality 3D meshes for 3D printing and other purposes. Version 188.8.131.52 was just released.
- The International Journal of CFD (2014, Issues 1-2) is now online.
- Here are a few examples of where COMSOL simulation is being applied.
- On the PTC Creo blog, analyst Chad Jackson discusses direct modeling, parametric modeling, and simulation.
- Autodesk announced plans to acquire Nastran from NEI and to produce its own 3D printer.
- Are you an engineering manager? GrabCAD has a list of free resources for you.
- From Aviation Week comes a description of NASA’s new small and fast approach to flight test demonstrations and a learn by doing attitude. [They had me until revealing a “Shark Tank” style selection process. Who will play the role of Mr. Wonderful?]
- CFD for indoor smoke management.
- The speakers have been announced for Flow Sciences’ FLOW-3D European Users Conference.
Two Quick Surveys
Do you take notes in class or at a conference with pen and paper or some electronic device? Pen and paper for me – too hard to doodle otherwise. (Issue first raised by Monica Schnitger in response to this article.)
What pointing device (mouse, trackball, 3D) do you prefer to use with your CFD software? Just a mouse for me, thank you very much. Although Pointwise does support the devices from 3Dconnexion and we just acquired a new device to experiment with. (Maybe we’ll reveal it at the Pointwise UGM 2014.)
All the World’s a Mesh
Or in this case, a spherical Voronoi diagram centered on airports.