The AIAA’s CFD 2030 Integration Committee invites you to attend a special session and panel discussion at AIAA SciTech 2021 (an online event) to delve into Grand Challenge Problems for Numerical Simulation in Aerospace Engineering.
The CFD 2030 Vision Study laid out a bold vision for future computational capabilities and their potential impact on aerospace engineering and design. In the Study, a series of four Grand Challenge (GC) problems were suggested in order to demonstrate the potential impact that advanced computational capabilities will have on aerospace engineering. In this session, more detailed formulations of a small number of GC problems will be proposed by experts in the field. Additionally, the potential of these GC problems in advancing the state-of-the-art as well as for serving as a benchmark of technological progress will be discussed.
Session CFD2030-01: CFD 2030 Grand Challenge Problems for Numerical Simulation in Aerospace Engineering
Date: Thu, 14 Jan
Time: 1:00pm – 2:15pm (EST)
This session consists of three invited papers by expert authors that lay out plans for unique grand challenge problems.
- A Grand Challenge for the Advancement of Numerical Prediction of High Lift Aerodynamics by Jeffrey Slotnick and Dimitri Mavriplis
- CFD 2030 Grand Challenge: CFD-in-the-Loop Monte Carlo Flight Simulation for Space Vehicle Design by David Schuster
- Vision 2030 Aircraft Propulsion Grand Challenge Problem: Full-engine CFD Simulations with High Geometric Fidelity and Physics Accuracy by M. Anand, Gregory Laskowski, Kenneth Suder, Gorazd Medic, Umesh Paliath, and Mujeeb Malik
CFD2030-02: CFD 2030 Grand Challenge Problem Panel Discussion
Date: Thu, 14 Jan
Time: 2:30pm – 3:45pm (EST)
Join the three technical paper presenters and three invited panelists for a discussion on how to be execute these grand challenge problems, from experiments to simulations. The three invited panelists will be
- Michelle Munk, Principal Technologist for Entry, Descent and Landing, NASA Space Technology Mission Directorate
- Robert Meakin, CREATE Project Manager, U.S. Dept. of Defense
- Doug Kothe, Director of Exascale Computing Project, Oak Ridge National Lab
For More Information
For more information on the CFD Vision 2030 Study and the activities of the CFD 2030 Integration Committee, see www.cfd2030.com. For registration information for AIAA SciTech, see www.aiaa.org/SciTech.