- Are you interested in trying CAD with “cloud, web, and mobile technologies?” Onshape, the new company from SolidWorks vets, is looking for testers.
- Friendship Systems released CAESES/Friendship Framework version 3.1 including support for adjoint CFD.
- Altair released HyperWorks 13.0 with updates to AcuSolve for CFD and HyperMesh for meshing.
- Automated Tet Mesh Generation for CFD Analysis of Aircraft in Conceptual Design
- Here’s a video introduction into FloEFD embedded in PTC Creo.
- The Tesla Model S is more aerodynamic than a Chevy Volt [and other worthless headlines].
- A brief blurb on CFD for data center thermal modeling.
- Symscape’s September 2014 newsletter compiles several articles on resolving common geometry pitfalls for CFD.
- The first UK FOAM/OpenFOAM User Day will be held on 20-21 November at the Bristol and Bath Science Park. [Wouldn't that make it User Days?]
- I had no idea there was a literature database for discrete element methods but there is and it has achieve the 5,000 user milestone.
Wonderful CFD Redux
- Just in case you missed it, the recording of The State of Simulation: It’s a Wonderful Time to Be Using CFD is now available online. (Registration required.)
- This article was linked to last week and referenced in the webinar and I’ll link to it again because it’s good for anyone who’s considering getting into CFD: How to Form an Engineering Simulation Plan.
- Along the same lines, if you’re new to CFD here’s a nice video that introduces CFD in the context of the BLOODHOUND supersonic car.
- Not mentioned during the webinar but definitely a welcome perspective is this article by CD-adapco’s Bill Clark on the third age of CFD.
- What will $861 million of revenue get you? If you’re ANSYS, 105th place on Software Magazine’s annual Software 500 list of the world’s largest software companies. [If you're thinking what I'm thinking, the answer is no.]
- “We do not have a robust pipeline of young people with the right skills and training coming into the [aerospace] workforce,” said the head of aerospace’s main trade association. Perhaps not portraying new graduates as units being pumped out of a skill factory would be a good place to start fixing this. Just maybe.
- Oklahoma State University seeks to hire an assistant professor with a background in computational thermal/fluid sciences.
Halftime Tet Meshing
If I had seen this only a few years ago I would’ve suggested it to the band director at my boys’ high school. Brief online research says this is a performance by the Carolina Crown drum corps at a Drum Corps International competition not too long ago. First found by me here.
What music do you think they were playing? A quar-tet perhaps?
Mesmerizing. I. Can’t. Look. Away.
Bonus points if you can guess what instrument I played in high school marching band. There are 3 correct answers so your odds are good.